Friday, July 26, 2013

4 Minecraft Safety Tips, and My Summer in Their World

Yesterday, strangers invaded my stepkids' world! Usually vigilant about keeping tabs on their online play, we let our guard down and apparently they switched from creative mode on Minecraft to what is apparently attack mode*. With strangers.

I had about six weeks off this summer, and this is what it looked like:







Ten points for the home team: our girls, eight and ten, recognized the danger of playing with strangers and reported the situation directly. This morning I'm looking for ways to help them play in a more controlled environment.

Having talked with many, many, many parents and aunties and teachers about Minecraft safety this summer, I thought I should share my findings.  Hopefully, we can make the game a little safer for the tweens-and-younger who seemed to all find the game at the same time this year. I've got more thoughts about why the kids are on to something here, but that's for another day. Here are

Four Minecraft Links to Keep Your Kiddos Safe

  1. My Pinterest Board "Tech for Families" has links to kid-safe Minecraft videos, basic intros for parents, etc.
  2. An excellent, quick overview for parents of gameplay and safety issues to be aware of in Minecraft.
  3.  Kid Friendly Servers
  4. Tech educators and savvy parents, you could get/make your own server

Not interested in learning more? That's understandable, too. Enjoy this funny confession from a time-crunched, usually-attentive mommy.

*actually called survival mode


No comments:

Post a Comment