Monday, July 1, 2013

Vanity

I'm redesigning the blog here and let's face it, my avid readers are going to notice.  Of course, they're all Chinese searchbots, so they can cope.

I attended ITSE last week. For the uninitiated, that's the International Society of Technical Educators. Yes, there are capes.

This was my first foray into this formidable society of teacher/hackers and edu-anarchists*, and I loved it. Meeting awesome educators (Adam Bellow! Rory Newcomb! the KidBlog guys! folks from Scholastic and Common Sense Media!) made me wonder, though: how will they find me on the internet? And I realized the answer was: they can't.  (not me: Sarah McManus not in Texas )

Ergo, blog update. with my actual name and work (with me when I wrote for Southwest Airlines. also me, Sarah McManus in Texas, when I wrote this blog about not-professional life.  also also, me. also also wik Sir Not Appearing in This Film)

For the uninitiated, "ergo" is what members of international societies call ego.

All that self-googling made me think about how we teach digital citizenship. Of course we want to keep kids safe, but I want kids and teachers to be find-able by the cool kids. I want the kids in my district whose lawn mowers are goats** to know they can get Minecraft shortcuts from some kid with no lawn in Mumbai.  I'd like to see teachers who graduated from my tiny school district, attended the local UT branch, and came back to teach here sharing their lesson plans with teachers in New Zealand***.

This year, I'll be asking a lot of questions, but one of them is, how can I help kids find awesome people, and how can I help them be recognized as awesome online? ...safely, smartly? I'll continue mulling these topics and more here. Out loud. Where awesome people might hear me.

* Never heard more educators questioning the value of the "college for everyone" theory in one place. More on this in the future.
**True story. 
***As an aside, what do they put in the water there? Their schools are awesome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment